Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I Have FMS, Now What Do I Do???

Originally Written:  June 2, 2009
Vol. 1, Issue 3

Hello Everybody!

Today I want to take a moment to discuss an issue that affects a lot of people that suffer with FMS and other disabling conditions. Before I get to that, I want to share a little of my story with you.


Prior to my car accident and being diagnosed with FMS, I was working 40 + hours a week and was the major bread winner for my family of 5. My day started at 6:00 AM with taking the kids to the sitter and driving 45 minutes to my job. After working a full day, I would return to pick up my children, drive home, make supper, clean up the dishes, spend some quality time with the boys, bathe them and tuck them into bed. The weekends I did the major house cleaning, yard work, tended to the flowerbeds and washed the car inside and out. 

My oldest boys are one year and one week apart so they played baseball on the same team. I NEVER missed one of their games. Even after all that, I managed to sing in the choir and play a musical instrument during the service once or twice a month. I look back at those days with a lot of joy and happy memories. Although I was tired, it was nothing like what I experience with the FMS. Now that I have this disease, I’ve given up a lot of things I once completed with relative ease.

I went through a long grieving period of the life that was lost to me because of FMS. BUT, that doesn’t mean my life was over, it just had to change and I had to adapt. Not to mention, my disability check is a fraction of what I use to make.
Now, I’m still one of the very blessed few. My husband has a great job and is able to support us with his income alone. He does have some health issues of his own and that frightens me on several levels. 

  • I love him and don’t want to be without him.
  • If I were to lose him, I would lose everything, my home, cars, everything material. 
It can be terrifying at times. We have life insurance, but that would only go so far. So, I try to live each day to the fullest by cherishing every moment; however, when I’m having a severe migraine or a bad flare all these worries really get to me.

What I have learned is that I must trust in God to provide for my daily bread and to take things one step at a time. Some Fibromyalgia patients have more severe cases than others and I feel for those who are suffering or confined to wheelchairs due to their pain. But I have faith that should something happen to my husband, God would provide another way for me to care for myself and my boys.
So, what I want to say to you is this: Don’t give up. You have a future and God will reveal it to you when the time is right. In the meantime take things one day at a time and trust in His plan for you. Continue to work with your doctor until you find the right mix of medication and therapy. Remember, no matter how bad your situation is, the sun will still come up in the morning! Never quit trying and never give in.
Good luck and many blessings to you all!




Bobbie 
© Robynn “Bobbie” Dinse / Bobbie’s World Blogs
Please note that this short story is copyrighted and should not be reprinted in any form without permission from the author
Feel free to link to “Bobbie’s World Blogs"
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here: