Friday, June 18, 2010

The Positive and The Negative….Bearing Our Cross

Vol. 2, Issue 2

Hello My Dear Friends!

I hope you are all doing well!  Now that we are in mid summer, I’ve been enjoying a reprieve from the endless irritation of cold air, bitter wind chills and all those other horrid things that winter weather causes, which produce very real pain for me. Yes, the disease is still there, but at least it is not affecting me (with the exception of my migraines) and I have been able to get out and spend wonderful days with my horses, my beloved family and enjoy the fellowship of new friends!

Which brings me to the title of today's blog.  In the past year, our family has been through some very real trials and tribulations.  We all have our crosses to bear and sometimes I think that we all get to a point where we look up and wonder, “How much more can I take?”  Well, I’m learning that apparently, I can take a lot.  There is a passage in the Bible that I stumbled across (or rather I like the phrase, God turned the pages of my Bible) and it is quite relevant to the situation.

Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things.

How is this relevant? Well, I believe that even when all around us we are surrounded by fear, ugliness, mean or unfair treatment, the moment we allow ourselves to take our focus off of the things mentioned in this passage, we open the door ajar for Satan to get in and poison our thinking. We get bitter, angry, and critical of others. Then we become insecure and ultimately, very unhappy.  We may start to feel the need to control things or more important, the negativity becomes our main focus.  Then what happens?  We take our eyes off of what God’s plan is for our lives and try to make it on our own.

Well, I believe that we are never the One that is truly in control.  God gives us choices in our lives.  Sometimes the right choice isn’t black and white, we don’t know which choice to make, but if we make our choices knowing that we carry our cross by God’s GRACE, that HE is there all along holding us up, when the choices are not clear, He will guide us to where we are suppose to be.

I believe that my journey over the last 18 months has been truly one of God preparing our family for something that we don’t necessarily understand; at least not at this time.  As time goes by, we will look back and be able to see what it is that He is trying to teach us, or perhaps wants to show us. Perhaps not.  Perhaps it isn’t about us at all.  Perhaps it is about HOW we carry our cross, how we handle the trials that come our way.  I don’t have all the answers.  I don’t know how we will manage, what will become of my husband’s health, or my own.  I don’t know what tomorrow will bring, but the LORD doesn’t want me to know that.  He wants me to trust in Him….TODAY.  He wants us all to look to Him at this very moment, each and every moment in time,  one by one. The Bible tells us:

Mark 8:34-38 - "If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.  For who ever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for Me and for the Gospel, will save it.  What good is it for a man to gain the whole world yet forfeit his soul?  Or what can a man give for exchange for his soul?  If anyone is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His Father's glory with the holy angels"

Our time on earth is our time of Grace.  I tend to believe that life is a series of peaks and valleys, good times and bad.  We just need to remember that what really matters is our Soul.  While still on this earth, I have faith that the Lord will keep His promises and care for us as He does the lilies of the field and the birds of the air.  I do know that when my time comes and I return home to be with Him in heaven, I can look back and say, “Now that wasn’t so bad, was it?”

I’ve thought a lot of my father lately and the many times he gave me very simple and concrete advice.  He was a wonderful man, I miss him so much and He was and still is my hero.  If anyone had a good excuse to be angry or bitter, it would be a person who became paraplegic at the age of 15.  But that wasn't his way.   He overcame many crosses of his own, but when he passed away well into his 60's, it was very clear that he lived his life looking at the positive things and never let the negativity of others stop him or prevent him from enjoying his life.

So my message today would be that no matter what struggles you carry, remember that you are never alone in this world.  My husband and I have a rough road ahead of us because of our health and the consequences it puts on us financially, we know that well.  But we also know that God has put wonderful people in our path to lift us up when we are down, and more important, that He has the plan and it is always for our own good and to God be the glory!

For all my friends who fight chronic illnesses, don’t give up hope.   Don’t worry about those that would bully you or don’t understand.  Look to the higher things in life.   There is a purpose for you.  No matter what we must endure, God always has a plan that is much better than our own.

Many blessings to you and it is my hope that you all enjoy the rest of the summer!

Bobbie

© Robynn “Bobbie” Dinse / Bobbie’s World Blogs
Please note that this short story is copyrighted and should not be reprinted in any form without permission from the author
Feel free to link to "Bobbie's World Blogs"
Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here: